Reading: we ensure that children:
- Read easily, fluently and with good understanding. Our use of the Monster Phonics programme ensures that children have a strong grasp of phonics as soon as they start school.
- Develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information. Whole class reading further celebrates a passion for reading, modelling reading from a variety of texts as well as focussing on a variety of reading skills - from vocabulary knowledge, inference, prediction, explanation, retrieval and summarising.
- The Accelerated Reader programme further encourages children to read within their zone of proximal development; comfortably decoding text to allow them to focus on a variety of comprehension skills
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language. Tier 1 and Tier 2 vocabulary acquisition is supplemented with Bedrock Vocabulary; used in school on Chromebooks and in home-learning.
- Have access to a broad range of fictional and non-fictional texts both, through our central school library and in every class library. A new 'Diverse Read' section of the library allows children to read more diverse themed texts.