Happy New Year! I hope that everyone had an excellent holiday and we are all fully refreshed now.
Just a couple of messages for now:
1. Bikeability - starts on Monday. Please make sure you know when you are riding and that they are suitable equipped for the day. See list below.
2. Parent information session: Everyone is welcome to join me on Tuesday and Thursday (9th & 11th Jan) at 3.30, when I will give my usual brief on the term ahead in Year 6.
3. Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) - a letter came out at the end of last term, but Yoan Reed, a specialist practitioner in RSE will be holding workshops with the Y5 and 6 children on 24th Jan. She is also hosting a session for all parents on Wednesday 17th Jan - if you are able to come, please do complete the reply slip sent out in the letter. If you haven't seen the letter it can be viewed and printed from here http://www.goudhurst-kilndown.kent.sch.uk/sites/default/files/Y5%20%20Y6%20Sex%20and%20Relationship%20Education%20letter%20Dec%202017.pdf. We are very lucky to have Yoan joining us again this year and I strongly recommend coming to join in her session if you are available.
4. Cake Sale - is currently planned for Friday 12th Jan. Thanks for everyone's support in this in advance. I have a plan how the money may be spend already!
5. Forest School - the first session will be Thursday 11th Jan. There is a clash with Bikeability which is unavoidable, but the group missing out will hopefully have a catchup session later in the term. I will allocate groups during the first day back.
Our first priority is to refresh arithmetic, especially use of the four operations. We will be bringing decimals into calculation as we go along too and all children will have the opportunity to engage in some higher order problem solving and reasoning tasks too.
We will be engaged in a diary writing task for the next 10 days or so. We will use a music video as a stimulus for the diary. Focus will be using a wide range of punctuation and varied sentence starters such as the use of the passive form.
An introduction to our new topic, Coasts. We will be investigating coastal erosion in particular.
During the first couple of days back, we will be creating traditional/retro Seaside Posters of resorts in Kent.
Mrs Stanford will be starting a new module in our UC programme all about Islam.
This term, the focus will be on dance, cricket and lacrosse.
1. Reading - continue with at least 4 times a week.
2. MA - one page please.
3. Learning Journal - GPS sheets - these will be handed out on on Thursday . Please stick in Learning journal
4. Spellings - to be tested on 12th Jan. Practice on QUIZLET