Welcome to week 4 of term 1! This week is the one we have all been waiting for…SWATTENDEN!
I know the children are very excited about all the activities, about being independent and the food! Below is a short list of areas to prepare for, please help your child with these before the trip:
- Label everything including underwear, Wellingtons etc – it is amazing how many items of unnamed clothing we have to deal with during the 3 days.
- Pack your child’s bag together! I know it sounds obvious but they do need to know where their belongings are, especially wash bags and nightwear. It will also help them with the packing for home on Friday.
- Make sure your child can carry their own bag. We meet in the car park on Wednesday morning and then as a class, we walk to the dormitory, independently, to be allocated rooms and to settle in.
- When the children are in their rooms, their first task is to make their bed. Please practise putting a pillowcase onto a pillow and how to put a duvet into a duvet cover.
The activities that are planned include: orienteering, bivouac building, high ropes, raft building, zip line, climbing wall.
It is a fantastic team building trip and all the children who have been to Swattenden in previous years have enjoyed the experience immensely. The weather may well be quite cold or wet so please make sure your child has a warm hat, gloves, waterproof trousers and jacket!
Kit list for Swattenden visit
- 3 t-shirts
- 2 jumpers/sweatshirts
- 3 pairs of trousers/shorts/jog bottoms (jeans are very uncomfortable when wet)
- 3 underwear
- 3 pairs of socks
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Warm hat and gloves if cold
- 1 set of nightclothes
- 1 dressing gown
- 1 pair of slippers/indoor shoes to wear around the building
- Outdoor trainers
- Wellington boots
- Sun cream
- Book/magazine to read
- Card games such as Top Trumps (optional)
- Any medication required
- One bin bag to put dirty or wet clothes in!
The children have to carry their luggage from the car park to the centre so a bag/case with wheels makes this easier. Please could the children have no electronic/electrical devices; eg iPads, iPods, mobile phones etc. Please also note that children are not allowed to bring sweets. We shall be meeting in the car park at 10am.
As the children are away Wednesday to Friday we will be having our Forest School sessions this Tuesday (26th). The children will remain in their groups and the same times that they would normally do on a Thursday. I will remind them all on Monday to be organised.
A massive thank you to all of the children who auditioned for a speaking role in our up and coming performance of ‘The Tempest’. Mrs Plewes and I were blown away by the children’s auditions and therefore need this weekend to make our final decisions on the cast list so I shall inform the children on Monday 25th September.
Good luck to all of the children participating in the football festival on Tuesday! We can’t wait to hear all about it during our trip!!
If you have any questions or queries about next week, please pop in to see me.
For week beginning Monday 25th September 2017