Welcome to week four (!!) of term three. Wow, the weeks are flying past! This week we have a jam packed week and the children will (hopefully) have another fantastic week of learning!
We continue to learn and explore The Vikings and Anglo-Saxons this week. We have had so much fun already learning together and shall this week turn our attention to the Anglo-Saxon kings.
This week the children will have a Relationship and Sex Education workshop on Wednesday. Please see below for the details which will be discussed. If you have any further questions, please come and see me or Mr Goodman before Wednesday.
As I mentioned in my message last week, I am becoming increasingly concerned and frustrated that not all children are practising their personal spellings each week. To be able to increase our writing skills, we need to continue to focus on our spelling. I just ask for 5 minutes a day, checking, reading and practising the correct words. The children have their future words all ready for them in their planners. This week's spelling test will be on Thursday instead of Wednesday due to the RSE Workshops.
As always, the children should all have a reading book at home which they must read at least 20 minutes every evening. I have taken notes to identify the books they are reading and checking their planners every Tuesday to ensure this is being recorded. The children can record this information themselves.
We continue to have trumpet lessons this term as part of our music curriculum. We will still have our lessons every Tuesday afternoon. I will be sending children home with their trumpets this week to practise at home.
Our PE lessons this term continue to be every Monday afternoon and every other Friday. The children are expected to have a full PE kit and trainers. We do have our Monday session outside, so I ask that children have the correct outdoor PE kit.
I look forward to the week ahead, I hope the children are too!
Relationship & Sex Education (RSE)
As you are aware, this week the children will be having a workshop on Relationships and Sexual Education. The session is being led by a very experienced team and the children will be taught in a very sensitive but informative manner. The children will be receiving a little less information than the Year 6 children. Here is what to expect from the Year 5 workshop:
What to Expect from RSE
- Places knowledge about human development, puberty and sex into the context of relationships, health and personal values-based choice.
- Information given to children as a response to their ‘need to know’.
- Diversity to enhance personal values of respect and acceptance.
- Content is age appropriate and follows NCB and Dfe guidelines.
- Vital information from reliable, professional and sensitive source.
- Counteracts inappropriate material of sexual content.
Example of Workshop Content for Year 5
- Recognise the different stages of the life cycle.
- What is puberty – How do girls and boys change and why.
- What is a period.
- Knowledge of human reproduction.
- Introducing correct terminology.
- Fun and engaging activities.
- Parents are primary educators in relationships and sexual health.
- School as support to parental role.
- Use opportune moments to engage in dialogues.
- Be proactive not reactive.
- Start early and often.
- Older siblings can be a resource.
- Use the correct terminology.
- Examine own values and attitudes.
For week beginning 22nd January 2018