We have started a new reading initiative. If you are DRB checked, please come and hear one child (the same child) read two tp three times a week from 3pm - just a little earlier than the usual pick up time. Some parents have started already and it is working well and making a difference. Thank you!
PLEASE CHECK YOUR CHILD'S HAIR FOR HEAD LICE. If everybody does it, it makes a difference.
We have been concentrating on the British Values of Respect, Responsibility, Law, Liberty, Democracy and Tolerance, using them in real life situations all the time.
Please feel free to pop in any time after school if you want a chat or I can plan a specific appointment time if necessary. My email address, should you need it, is firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't forget - school trip for a river study is Monday 19th March - please come and help!
1. Homework - Learning journal activity, hand in on Tuesdays. MA book, hand in on Thursdays. Spellings (WEEK 6 words to be learnt this week for test on Friday 23 February. New words prepared and will be handed out this week. Please write in the planner when you hear your child read EVERY DAY. Only half the class are being heard read at the best of times. Thank you to those who are reading with your child - you are making a huge difference, thank you!
2. PLEASE help your child learn their times tables, they are vital for that rapid recall that speeds up their calculations. Please help your child memorise ALL the times tables. Times Table Rockstars are now up and running, and your child will know that their login details are stuck in the front cover of their planner. I am encouraging children to help themselves to the multiplication and division column sheets to help them learn a particular times table and for extra practice. The TImes Table Rockstars are brilliant IF you know your times tables! We do them daily, but every little bit helps.
The unit journey, detailing the finer points of angles, our next topic, we will be covering, is online in the Parent's Letters section of the website. This week, more angles including measuring them, drawing them, naming them, turns and compas points.
Learning all the times tables and division tables is absolutely crucial now, please help your child, it makes an incredible difference to their confidence as well as learning. I think I may have mentioned this already.
Times Table Rockstars are now up and running, I hope you are helping your child access this excellent resource.
More grammar, puntuation, spelling and reading comprehension and we will continue to use the book The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo where we will be revising word classes, adverbs and determiners. We will also continue our class reading book, Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson.
We are continuing the Year 4 spelling programme which is going well and concentrate on spellings in every piece of writing. We have spent some time analysing WHY we learn spellings! We will be continuing handwriting practice as it is very important their wonderful joined up handwriting continues to improve as their style develops. Hopefully those children who always write neatly with joined up handwriting will be eligible for a pen licence. Daily reading is expected, please write to confirm you have heard your child read in their planner (I am happy if they write in it). House points are given daily to those who have confirmed reading in their planners. I have heard that some children read to each other when they visit each others' homes, I think this is brilliant and should be celebrated! Does anyone read this?
We will continue to learn about rivers, this week focussing on terminology, combined with artwork. Advance notice of a trip - Monday 19 March, we will be going near Firle to investigate the Cuckmere River Valley. Parent helpers essential, please come and see me if you can help! I've been down to do a site visit, it's going to be brilliant! I have had no offers of help - which could mean it can't go ahead as I need 1:5 adult-child ration for safety. I am able to take the Teaching Assistants who work with Molly and I am relying on parent help so if you are able to join us during the school day, and are happy being outside all day whatever the weather, then please come and see me ASAP.
Our GEOLOGY, MIXTURES AND SEPARATION unit for Spring Term, with a focus on data collection is mainly chemistry based and the geology aspect brings all the sciences together which will be studied nearer the end of topic. I can't wait! We will also be learning about Charles Darwin and other scientists linked to our unit. This week, using cooling as a way of making a mixture. WITHOUT WISHING TO SPOIL THE SURPRISE, CHILDREN WILL NEED GLOVES TODAY!!
Our question for this term is "Why do Christians call the day Jesus died 'Good Friday'? We will read the Bible, make connections between the text and the religion as well as ourselves. This week, we will learn more about how the Gospels represent Judas, and what Maundy Thursday is all about.
Swimming on Tuesday this term. They will need a costume that fits and is easy to put on as they will be changing in small cubicles this year. Please provide a small healthy snack they can eat before swimming as Year 3 will be swimming first. We will also be learning dance as well as the daily Mile Run and activate sessions. They may bring and wear a swimming hat but it is not an essential.
Please make sure you have full PE kit - no PE kit, no PE. No trainers, no Mile Run. No swim kit, no swimming. This is often due to children going home with their PE kit on after a club - please encourage your child to change back into their school uniform after a club and leave their PE kit on their peg. They are responsible for it. I do not allow children to lend PE kits to other children, including siblings in an effort to try and help children to be responsible for their PE kit. This term, gymnastics.
As part of our outdoor learning philosophy, children are required to have wellies (that fit!) and waterproof trousers in school every day. PLEASE MAKE SURE ALL CLOTHING IS NAMED! I'm afraid 'sniffing' the clothes is not a full guarantee of successful ownership!
Singing this term. Also our Kidenza morning on Thursday which will be brilliant!
Families is our unit this half term. We're finding out about the names we give people in our family (sister, brother, etc not nicknames!).
1. Reading - every day. Don't forget to ensure the planner is written in - otherwise I will not know you are hearing your child read.
2. MA - one page.
3. Learning Journal - see the information in the actual learning journal, there is a new set of suggestions for this term. It outlines the variety of homework pieces your child can choose from to do once a week.
4. Spellings - see their planners.
5. Multiplication tables. It will be like Year 3, a column to complete every day. We are practising our tables every day although they need to be learnt well enough to be repeated quickly and accurately. If your child is unable to recite the times tables, then this is the sheet for them. It makes a phenominal difference to their maths understanding if they know their times tables. Times Tables Rockstars are up and running so could be used if your child is confident with times tables. The children have been shown how to get a new sheet themselves so that they are responsible for their time tables homework. So far, it's working really well for those who are keen to excell in their times tables.
We will be learning about Georges Surat and Pointillism this term, we will compose some pictures this week linked to rivers terminology. Do come and have a look at our amazing Water Cycle using Georges Seurat's influence! It's brilliant.
Our topic this term is health and well being. We are learning to consider conflicting feelings.